Pursue a Career in Public Health
Steps for a Career in Public Health
1. Determine which area of public health interests you.
- Environmental Health — Identify and analyze the many ways in which environmental factors, such as those related to climate change, affect human health and the health of specific populations.
- Global Health — Leverage research, education, partnerships and other resources to advance the health and well-being of populations and communities in diverse global settings.
- Health Behavior — Use social and behavioral science to design and implement programs that promote health, prevent disease and injury and eliminate inequity.
- Health Equity, Social Justice and Human Rights — Develop a deep understanding of the social determinants of health and apply strategies, methods and interventions to advance social justice and human rights.
- Health Policy — Lead change by advocating for programs and policies that improve health outcomes at local, state and federal levels.
- Leadership — Learn how leadership principles apply in a public health context, and empower teams, projects and organizations to eliminate health inequities.
- Maternal, Child and Family Health — Focus on the determinants and systems that impact the health of women, children and families.
- Nutrition and Dietetics — Evaluate dietary guidelines and the effects of social determinants on nutrition-related health outcomes, and help individuals and populations lead healthier lives through better nutrition.
- Population Health — Develop a strong understanding of both public health and population science, and advocate for evidence-based policies to improve health care systems and patient care.
- Public Health Data Science — Use cutting-edge data science solutions to analyze large sets of data, make inferences and predictions, model phenomena and help communities respond to public health crises.
2. Choose an MPH program that meets your goals.
3. Enroll in an MPH program and earn your degree.
Areas Within the Public Health Field
- Improving global health
- Advancing environmental health
- Creating healthier communities
- Reducing the impact of natural disasters and global epidemics
- Addressing health disparities
Job Opportunities With a Master’s in Public Health
- Health Educator
- Health Services Manager
- Health Care Administrator
- Public Health Engineer
- Public Health Officer